Tax Objections

In the case that you wish to proceed with a tax objection, we at PVTAX can assist you every step of the way. We make sure that this long process goes as smoothly, and successfully as possible for you.

You will be provided with our knowledge, and over twenty years experience in this area, allowing you to have everything you need, and knowing everything that will help your case, everywhere from the audit review to your notice of objection and appeals. 

The tax dispute process

Where it all begins:

Each Canadian taxpayer is expected to accurately and honestly report the amount of tax owing each year. The CRA processes takes your tax return, and either agrees or disagrees with the information that you have provided, and provides you with an assessment of tax (Notice of Assessment). This is routinely sent to you several weeks after you file your tax return. 

Before or after the initial Notice of Assessment, the CRA may request more information or audit you to gather further information regarding your tax obligations. After your audit, the CRA can either agree with what you are reporting or disagree. In the event of disagreement, the auditor usually issues a proposal letter, which states how CRA plans to reassess you. You receive a 30 day time period, to make any submissions to the auditor in regards to this letter. 

If the auditor does not change his or her opinion on the matter, they will issue a reassessment of tax that reassesses you in the manner described in the proposal letter (Notice of Reassessment). The date on this notice is where the 90 day appeal period commences. Both the notice of reassessment and proposal letter consist of helpful information, that will be required if you wish to dispute. 

Should you wish to dispute the amount of the reassessment, you must “object” to the Canada Revenue Agency Appeals Division. This is accomplished by filing a “Notice of Objection” with the Chief of Appeals of the Canada Revenue Agency. 

You have 90 days from the date of the Notice of Reassessment to file your Notice of Objection. Your case may go to the Provincial Court or the Federal Court of Canada.